Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Stories from My Youth: XI - Grade Seven Camp

Day 1

The first night ever in which I had to spend the night without any family members. Very vaguely, the following conversation took place, in which I did not take part in. I had pretended to be asleep.

"Finally I can be away from home."
"Damn right. I can swore."
"You swore at school anyway, Tony."
"Yeah that's very true."
"Johnson are you asleep?"
"Come on, he's such a goody-goody, of course he is asleep. He sleeps at like 10:30 every night. It's like 1:30 now."
"That's very true. I don't understand how he can be such a good boy -"
"Hey, when we got here, did you guys check out the girls' room?"
"No, why?"
"Well, I was looking at their room and I saw something hanging at the window."
"You think those are Carrie's bras?"
"I was thinking of the same thing."
"I don't know. I never really thought that Carrie has any boobs. It might be Sharon's"
"Well, Tony would know. Didn't you push Carrie off the other day in the multi-purpose room?"
"Yeah, but I didn't touch her there - "
"Sure you didn't..."
"I don't know. I would have to say Sharon's boobs are fake too. I mean, have you compare when she was in class and when she was in gym?"
"You guys are crazy. Why would they hang up bras in their room? It's probably just windowdraps."
"Come on man, why won't you allow us to -"
"To think about bad things outloud in which otherwise you would not be able to do so at home?"
"No. It is to express our curiousity on the beautiful complexity of the human body."
"That sounds like something Johnson would say."
"True. I bet Johnson has his secret lovers."
"Alpha? Too bad she's not here."
"I think we should all corrupt Johnson over the four days. He is too good."
"Seriously, I really don't think Sharon has real boobs. She probably stuffed it full."
"You are thinking of Dorothy."
"Or both of them!"
"I should have brought my binoculars. Then we might figure out whose bras are hanging on the window."
"Well, what about Jennifer?"
"She's okay..."
I think I fell asleep after that.

Day 2

The day was overall very exciting. The food, however, was terrible. But the fun times were when we got a chance to try out all the sports facilities. I played tennis for the first time; the soccer game between the guys and the girls was...well let's just say the girls gave a good effort.

The interesting moment was when we all went to shower. I was very much afraid of being naked in front of strangers. So when it was my turn to shower, I wore my underwear and quietly washed over at a corner. The other guys were very much more liberal. There was a competition of who has the biggest penis. They were slashing at each other, boosting to each other about their muscles (although they all had bony arms). There were a few who were trying to see through the tainted glass, or look for holes of some sort. Apparently the girls' shower is right next to the boys. I did not have my glasses, so I couldn't see properly. But it seemed that there were quite a few boys who already had their first sexual awakening. Maybe I was afraid to admit mine own.

Day 3

The main event was hiking. As hills and woods surround our camp, we started our hike early in the morning down a long trail. We went through the woods and came to a rocky part of a hill. After climbing over that small hill, we came to a bigger hill, full of trees and bushes. The hike gradually got more steep, and as a result, more difficult. But the day was not terribly sunny, and occasionally there was a cool breeze patting us on our backs. (It was to rain tomorrow.) As I climbed I marvelled at the beauty of nature which I rarely had a chance to enjoy. The last time I hiked was back when I was little, in Hongkong, when we came upon the Valley of the Butterflies. The green was refreshing for me, who most often saw the black letters on white pages. Lunchtime came and we dined. Then our instructors asked if any of us would like to go on a harder climb to the top of the hill. For some reason, I lacked the courage to continue, and instead joined another portion of the group descending downhill. The downhill journey was simple, yet even to this day I can vividly remember the beautiful scenery: a continuous column of short trees ushered us back to our standing point. The narrow path was all green above the brown path - Nature spoke to me only in two colours, and needed only those two. Occasionally there was the odd pink ribbon, in which the instructors must have tied on tree branches to guide the students. But who would not be naturally attracted to the grace and beauty of the narrow pathway? No wonder Wordsworth was so taken by nature in his youth. I too had a will to just follow the path to see where it leads. Even though I knew that this is the pathway back to our camp, I secretly wished that the path would lead me to some place special - some kind of special adventure.

Day 4

Raining: our teachers and instructors decided to hold indoor games. Our cabin was the winner; in fact, we were so good that we were not allow to win any more candies.

We had the rest of the afternoon as free time. The guys (in the cabin) all stayed at the main cabin for card games. I, on the other hand, retired to our cabin. I looked out of the window and watched the rain fell from the grey sky, and each raindrop fell from the ledge of the roof. Mesmerized by the music of the raindrop, I simple stood there and did not even realize that some of the guys entered the room.

"Man he should have never done such stupid thing."
"I know. Why would he do that? It's like the last day too. Sucks to be him, but he deserved it."
"Hey Johnson, what are you looking at?"
"Huh?" I muttered, startled from my music.
"He's probably checking out the girls' room. See, I told you he was just pretending to be asleep. So, what did you see?"
"I didn't see anything. I was looking at the raindrops. So what is going on? What stupid thing?"
"Raz got sent back home because apparently last night he snuck out to one of the girls' cabin or something."
"I see..." I said nothing and went back to my music.
"Come on Johnson. Stop pretending to be a poet. Let's play cards."

I was obliged to do so. Card game was fun. There were jokes and laughter. The guys failed to corrupt me. But I wished I had listened more to the music of the rain:

"A tranquillizing spirit presses now
On my corporeal frame,, so wide appears
The vacancy between me and those days,
Which yet have such self-presence in my mind,
That, musing on them, often do I seem
Two consciousnesses, conscious of myself
And of some other Being."
Day 5
Woke up early in the morning, packed and left. I missed my warm bed at home, grew indifferent to "boy's talk", and would be missing the music of the rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home